Help With A Federal Agency

One of the most important things I do as a U.S. Representative is help people with federal problems. Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene on a person's behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape.

What is Casework?

Before you contact my office for assistance with a case, it is a good idea to determine if your problem is something my office has the authority and jurisdiction to help you with. The information and examples below can help you decide... I can help you if your problem is with a federal agency. A federal agency, as the term implies, is an organization that is part of the federal government. These agencies are either:

•part of the President's Cabinet or Executive Branch

Independent Agencies and Government Corporations

Prepare to open a case: 

Below you will find a list of federal agencies that I can help you with.

In order to open a case on your behalf, our office needs a privacy authorization form from you.  Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, no inquiries can be made without such written consent.  As such, an e-mail will not suffice as a release.  A written signature must be given.  Please note that we will not accept electronic signatures.

Please complete the appropriate privacy authorization form:

For all IRS issues, you must download and fill out the IRS privacy authorization form.

For citizenship and immigration issues that directly involve the USCIS, you must download and fill out the USCIS privacy authorization form.

For customs and immigration enforcement issues, including deportation, please download and fill out the ICE Form No. 60-001.

For all other federal issues, you must download and fill out the general privacy authorization form also known as “Constituent Assistance Form (CAF).”

***Please provide my staff with any relevant paperwork that you may have regarding your case. This may include letters from the federal agency, medical forms, or other forms and documents related to your problem.***

If you have any questions, please call either my Raleigh Office (919) 859-5999 or my Chapel Hill office (919) 967-7924 to speak to a Constituent Services Representative who can determine the right direction for your case. 

Other Useful Information

If you are having trouble solving a problem you are having with a federal agency on your own, I may be able to assist you in working with the agency. While I can't ask the agency to do anything which they are unable to do under law or regulations, I can make sure that all of your rights are respected and that errors in procedure are corrected. Constituents sometimes request that the Congressman expedite their applications for government services or benefits.

While a caseworker is available to obtain information regarding the status of a constituent's application or claim, this office has no authority to move one person's application ahead of others that have been waiting longer. Caseworkers can assist constituents by providing information about the process for applying for a government benefit or service. A Congressional office, however, cannot file the claim and does not have the authority to instruct a federal agency to approve or deny an application.

What is Not Casework?

Because of the Constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government, judicial matters (matters which involve courts) do not fall under my jurisdiction as a U.S. Representative. Examples of judicial matters are:

•child custody


•criminal trials or imprisonment

Problems with North Carolina State Agencies are not under my jurisdiction as a U.S. Representative. Please contact your local State Senator or State Representative for assistance.

The following is a list of some of the federal agencies that I can help with:

Education Department

FCC - Federal Communications Commission

Housing and Urban Development

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Internal Revenue Service

Department of Labor



Office of Personnel Management

Passport Service

Postal Service

Social Security Administration

State Department - Visas

Veterans Administration