PRICE REMARKS OPPOSING BUDGET RESOLUTION AND ACA REPEAL
Mr. Speaker, I rise in strong opposition to the sham Republican budget resolution before us today.
After wringing their hands for the last eight years about debt and deficits, today’s resolution makes clear that Republicans throw so-called “fiscal discipline” to the winds when they have a Republican president.
This budget resolution would add $9.5 trillion to the debt over the next ten years. It has only one purpose—to provide for the eventual repeal of the Affordable Care Act—and it would ruin our fiscal health as well.
Of course, the ACA was fully paid for by Democrats with new revenue and cost containment measures. Nonpartisan budget experts say repealing it would actually increase the deficit by $350 billion!
The hypocrisy of Republicans on this issue is stunning, even by Washington standards.
Of course, repeal of ACA wouldn’t just blow a hole in the budget, it would:
· destabilize the insurance market and cause premiums to skyrocket
· eliminate insurance coverage for 30 million Americans, including 4 million children
· raise taxes on the middle-class
· burden local and rural hospitals with more uncompensated care
· eliminate Medicaid benefits for millions of vulnerable citizens
· and abolish vital patient protections, including the provision that stopped insurance companies from discriminating against those with preexisting conditions
After more than six years, we are still waiting for the comprehensive Republican plan to replace the ACA. News flash: they don’t have one.
Rather than work with Democrats to improve the ACA, Republicans continue to put their own political ideology over the health and well-being of Americans.
I urge all Members to forcefully reject this sham budget resolution.